The fairly recent rediscovery of Hellenistic astrology has led to a rebirth in the usage of the most Spirit by astrologers, yet up until now there has actually been no typically agreed ~ above glyph or symbol to use in bespeak to represent this allude in astrological charts or computer system programs.
You are watching: Circle with a vertical line through it
I would favor to rectify this instance by suggest a particular design for the price that must be used to stand for the the majority of Spirit. I have actually included an image of the symbol the I’m proposing come the left the this paragraph.
The symbol is in reality pretty simple. It is just a circle v a upright line v it, v the line prolonging just a bit external of the circumference of the circle. This is in reality the sans-serif, capitalized version of the Greek letter ϕ / phi (usually pronounced as “fee”), and also essentially what I’m proposing right here is adopting this variant of the Greek letter phi as the symbol because that the the majority of Spirit.
In Defense the the suggest Glyph
This is actually something I’ve been thinking about off and on because that a couple of years, and also at this allude I think the I have the right to make a pretty good case for adopting this variation of the Greek letter phi as the glyph for the the majority of Spirit. Here are several of the key points of my argument:
1) everything glyph is adopted, it need to be somewhat simple, and also ideally it would be nice if the was simple to attract by hand. Also if astrologers don’t usually calculate charts through hand anymore, I check out the simplicity the the propose glyph to it is in one the points that it has actually going in its favor.
3) The Greek letter phi is the an initial letter that the Greek word phos, which means “light”. Together I stated a couple of years ago in my paper on the seven Hermetic lots, whoever very first came up through the calculations for the lot of Fortune and also the lot of Spirit appears to have actually wanted to combine the spirit with the principle of light, and also Fortune with the ide of darkness. This is more than likely due to various Platonic and also Hermetic associations in between the body and darkness, matches the soul or mind and light. These concepts are embedded in the calculations the each many is predicated on, and also so it would certainly seem installation to encompass this subtle reference to that an interpretation in the glyph because that the many Spirit.
4) since phi is already a symbol that is combined into Unicode and also most keyboard layouts, it should be fairly easy to use it or integrate it into astrology software program programs. Even in instances when the glyph has not been combined into the astrology font that software program programmers are using, they might simply usage the Unicode version of the Greek letter phi, and that would certainly be a close enough approximation to the glyph.
5) modern-day astrologers such together Alan Oken regularly interpret the design of the astrological glyphs as having specific symbolic definition based top top the forms they room composed of. Because some of the astrological glyphs were introduced from the alchemical heritage in the middle Ages, over there is probably something come be said for this approach. Indigenous a symbolic perspective i would provide this interpretation of the glyph that I’m proposing: The circle in the middle represents the spirit, or the soul. The vertical line with the middle represents upwards or downwards movement, which could be bring away to describe the ascent and also descent that the spirit through the planetary spheres, i m sorry a common motif in Hellenistic and Roman philosophical and spiritual traditions.
6) ns realized after ~ I started thinking about adopting this symbol because that the lot of Spirit the it already had a little of background behind it, due to the fact that it was already used together a placeholder in some of the beforehand Project hindsight translations to stand for the most Spirit. It was supplied in Schmidt and also Hand’s translate in of publication 2, component 1 of Valens’ Anthology in 1994, return they offered the serif version of the letter phi, and they didn’t describe their factors for using this letter. I asked Hand around this recently and also he said that he couldn’t recall even if it is there was a details reason why they offered that symbol because that spirit, although he claimed that that has ongoing to use it because then. As I researched this more I remembered the another pair of astrologers called Antoine Garth and also Claire-France Perez, who have actually done some job-related on Valens’ lots, complied with Schmidt and Hand in utilizing phi together the symbol because that the many Spirit. So, evidently over there is currently a bit of a heritage behind this symbol over the past 20 years, back the distinction here is that I’m trying to it is in a bit more deliberate in make a details case for why ns think the the letter phi need to be used, and I’m outlining the certain parameters of the symbol for others to adopt.
7) Evidently ϕ is regularly used to represent the gold ratio in mathematical texts, and also a number of other things. Offered Schmidt’s background in mathematics, ns wondered if this wasn’t a contributing factor in their using the letter because that spirit. I often tend to think the they were probably just using it as a placeholder in ~ that point though, due to the fact that their beforehand translations were claimed to it is in preliminary, and additionally since phi is frequently used in thoughtful texts to represent some share act.
8) There space two or three various other potential versions of the lot of Spirit glyph that have displayed up in secluded places, although none of this have ever been extensively adopted, and also I would argue that the prize I’m proposing is more appropriate because that the reasons outlined above. One of the signs is a circle with two wavy lines below it, which was in a 5th century horoscope the is questioned in an short article by Deborah Houlding. Elsewhere, plunder Hand stated to me that the 16th century astrologer Johannes Schoener has actually a glyph because that the lot of Spirit in his text that “looks prefer the component of Fortune but with the external circle partly missing on the right-hand side.” Hand notes the he hasn’t viewed this price used almost everywhere else. Finally, much more recently a set of glyphs because that all 7 Hermetic lots was presented by Curtis Manwaring as part of his Delphic Oracle software application program, and also each lot has actually the glyph for each planet in the middle, v a circle and a cross in the middle in the background. Manwaring’s glyph for the lot of Spirit then is the symbol for the sun with a circle and also a cross in the background. Ns actually favor this collection of glyphs to a specific extent, and it is true the the Hellenistic astrologers seem to have connected each that the Hermetic lots through each of the 7 planets. Ns think that the phi glyph that I’m proposing would certainly be a much better alternative for spirit though due to the fact that it is much more in keeping with the much more widely provided glyph because that the the majority of Fortune that many astrologers usage today, which was portrayed above. Additionally, the phi glyph locations the focus of the lot much less on the Sun and also instead much more on the concept of irradiate in general, which ns think is an ext in maintaining with the rationale underlying the most Spirit, if one reverses the calculation for day and night charts.
See more: Draw A Quadrilateral That Is Not A Parallelogram And, Quadrilaterals: Classification
There are most likely some additional arguments that can be made, yet those are really the core ones the I want to do for the purpose of this post. Ns look forward to listening what people think.