The elements in the regular table space not stable except the noble gases. Therefore, elements try to react with various other elements, to acquire the noble gas electron configuration to achieve stability. Likewise, sodium also has to acquire an electron to accomplish the electron construction of the noble gas, Neon. Every nonmetals react with sodium forming sodium ions. Other than some similarities, salt atom and also sodium ion has different physical and also chemical properties as result of the readjust of one electron.
You are watching: Difference between sodium atom and sodium ion
Sodium, i m sorry symbolized together Na is a group 1 facet with the atomic number 11. Sodium has properties the a group 1 metal. The atomic weight of it is 22.989. The electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1. Salt is the an initial element in the third period, for this reason the electrons have actually started come fill into orbital 3. Sodium exists as a silvery color solid. However sodium reacts really rapidly through oxygen as soon as it is exposed come air, therefore makes an oxide coating in dull color. Sodium is soft enough to reduced by a knife, and as quickly as the cuts, the silvery shade disappears due to the oxide class formation. Density of salt is reduced than the of water, so it floats in water while strongly reacting. Sodium gives a brilliant yellow flame once burns in the air. Boiling point of sodium is 883 °C, and also the melting suggest is 97.72 °C. Salt has plenty of isotopes. Among them, Na-23 is most abundant v the relative abundance of about 99%. Sodium is vital element in living equipment to maintain osmotic balance, for nerve advertise transmission and so on. Sodium is additionally used come synthesize various other chemicals, necessary compounds, soap and also for salt vapor lamps.
When sodium atom release its valence electron to one more atom, it creates a monovalent (+1) cation. It has an digital configuration that 1s2 2s2 2p6, i m sorry is comparable to the electronic configuration the neon. Remove of an electron native this is hard; therefore, the ionization energy is an extremely high (4562 kJ·mol−1). Electronegativity of sodium is an extremely low (according to the Pauling’s range it is about 0.93), enabling it to kind cations through donating an electron to a higher electronegative atom (like halogens). Therefore, sodium frequently makes ionic compounds.
What is the difference between Sodium Atom and Sodium Ion?
• Sodium ion has derived a stable electronic configuration by offering out one electron native the salt atom. Therefore, salt ion has one electron less than the salt ion.
• In other words, the valence shell/ last covering of salt atom has actually only one electron. But in sodium ion the critical shell has 8 electrons.
• Sodium ion has actually a +1 fee whereas salt atom is neutral.
• Sodium atom is really reactive; therefore, i will not ~ find free in nature. That exists as sodium ions in a compound.
• Because of the relax of one electron, the sodium ion radius different from the atom radius.
• Sodium ion is attracted to negatively charged electrodes, however sodium atom is not.
• The an initial ionization power of salt atom is really low compared to the ionization energy of salt +1 ion.